Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Promises, Promises


Today's muse: Three Word Wednesday

Today's words: demolish, resolution, transform

* * *

Promises, Promises

Milky blank pages of linen note paper stare back at me. After a moment’s pause, lips set in grim resolution, my Mont Blanc etches lines of promises.

Vow to decrease the numbers that have crept higher and higher on the scale. Pledge to explore my writing; finish the book—at least the first draft. Commit to leave work at a reasonable hour and reduce (if not eliminate) those retched twelve-hour days. Transform the tired, angry person I have become, into the content, peaceful woman I once was.

In a moment of clarity, the pen hovers above the expensive parchment, and I know what must be done. My hands curl around the paper and, in one violent motion, tear the pages into shreds, demolishing the words of promise.

Who am I kidding? The entire list will be moot by January third.

5 comments:

Wayne Pitchko said...

well done Monica...thanks for sharing and keep writing

Monica Manning said...

@Wayne Pitchko: Thanks, Wayne. My goal is to finish the first draft of my book by October (in time to attend a weekend writing retreat organized by my writing circle).

Shauna said...

aww.. I was rooting for you to give this a try - I can relate to going
back to the calm, peaceful woman
I once was...

Jae Rose said...

Such beauty deserves to stay intact..written..on that juicy paper...time spent writing resolutions is a story in itself - beautifully demonstrated..Happy New Year..Jae x

Laurie Kolp said...

Lovely descriptive writing... was surprised at the ending, but I think that's a universal thing (not following up on resolutions). Happy New Year!